Monday, November 9, 2009

Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup

Hi there- a good low-fat soup I tried tonight and really liked!

Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup
(actually a Weight Watcher recipe,
says makes 12 1-cup servings at 1.5 points a piece,
but I think it makes closer to 7 or 8 cups total...)


1 lb extra lean ground beef or ground turkey (I used turkey)
1 cup chopped white onion
2 cups chopped green pepper
15-oz can tomato sauce
15-oz can diced tomatoes (I used one with basil and garlic included)
3 cups water
1 Tblsp (3 cubes) beef bouillon
1 cup cooked brown rice (or more-- I used 1.5 cups)
2 tsp Basil
2 tsp Oregano
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown beef/turkey with onion, drain. Then you can either use a crock pot or cook on the stove:
For crock pot/slow cooker: Place all ingredients in and cook on low 6-8 hours.
OR for stove: Place in large soup pot and simmer on low for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

It is definitely a hearty soup, similar to a chili but with an Italian feel. It went great with some warm bread, and baked apples for dessert-- a good November dinner.

1 comment:

  1. I just made this again tonight with orzo in place of rice, and it was very tasty!

    ReplyDelete