Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"Nine" Update

So I finally got to see the cast list for the show. I was cast in the ensemble :/ I feel very mixed about it. I am guessing all the big dogs came out for the second night of auditions because the cast is filled with lots of big names in the civic theater-- lots of leading ladies from performances past. The woman who got the role I was hoping for is actually a choreographer herself, along with being a seasoned songstress, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that she was picked over me. The main reason I feel uneasy about it is that I never got a chance to act in the audition-- I just sang and danced (and the later not too well in comparison to the others auditioning with me). Since there weren't call-backs, everyone was placed into roles only based on singing and dancing, which makes me think a lot was based on who's who in Civic Theater, since a lot of these women have undoubtedly worked with the director on past shows (he has directed several musicals).

SO I think I will probably take the role, mainly to have the opportunity to learn from these women who are very talented. As an ensemble member, I will most likely have MORE rehearsals than the individual roles (who each sing in 2-3 songs and then leave the stage), since we will have to know more songs (I think we sing and dance in 7 numbers) and be on the stage much more. Well, maybe I'll get into shape this fall after all! The director was nice enough to give us ensemble members individual names, so I am playing the role of "Maria." Our first read-through of the script happens on Sunday night, I'll let you know how it goes!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are going to be kept busy, Maria! Sorry that it didn't quite turn out the way you had hoped. Have fun Friday night - sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having missed out on a few call backs lately, you've got my empathy. I'm happy you are in a role and sorry you missed out on the one you wanted. Maybe this will be your chance to learn the trade secrets of the big guns and then Mom and I will get a chance to hear you as leading lady on Broadway...of course you would get us front row seats wouldn't you?
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would bet there were phone calls made after the first audition night.... and I'm sure ambivalent big guns wouldn't be tempted by "How's about I make an offer--'Chorus person #6' has got YOUR name on it if you join up!" So it had to be bigger roles for them. :o( Maybe it's your big chance to prove your worth on opening night when leading lady falls ill---"But who would know all her lines?? The show can't go on! unLESS....." hehehe

    ReplyDelete