Friday, October 23, 2009

Too busy NOT to blog

A common sight during my day

My First Post!
I sit typing this while honing my multitasking skills: baby on lap eating raisins, that just spilled all over the floor, Bee Gees playing on Pandora, with a version of my chicken noodle soup on the stove, add a dash of texting Ben about possibly picking up a prescription at the store on the way home.

After reading friends' and families' blogs, I decided I needed more of an outlet to my day-to-day affairs than my just Facebook status updates. Being a recent addition to the stay-at-home mom workforce, I have found the thing I miss the most is being in conversations with adults other than just Ben or the occasional phone call with a friend or family member. I find myself hanging on Ben's every word as he describes work meetings, work events, conversations he had over lunch, etc. A little sad, huh? So I'm trying something new. I hope to share my life, my daughter's experiences growing up, good recipes I've tried, and other sundry items. Hope you enjoy your peek into all things Heather! :)


An Addendum:
My lowfat Tomato Chicken Noodle Soup turned out to be a success, here is a rough version of a recipe (I cook by taste, so feel free to add/delete items as you go):

1 lb chicken breast, cooked and cubed
1 can Peeled Tomatoes with Basil & Garlic (do not drain)
3 cups chicken broth, or 3 bouillon cubes + 3 cups water
2 cups water
1 cup dry pasta of your choice- spirals, shells, bowties, etc.
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 carrots, sliced to quarter inch slices
1 Tbsp olive or canola oil
(any other veggies you'd like to add- I added a 1/4 cup of chopped sweet bell pepper, maybe zucchini would be a good addition- just add near the end so it doesn't get too soggy)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Dried basil, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, any other seasoning you'd like. I'm partial to a "Tuscan Seasoning Blend" and a "Chicken Grill Mates Seasoning" that I use a lot ;) Add a little at a time, see how it tastes.

Heat oil to medium-high heat in large soup pot. Add onion and garlic and saute until onions are transparent. Add whole can of tomatoes, broth, and water and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium and add chicken, carrots, pasta, and spices. Stir soup occasionally, and pay attention when noodles soften. When noodles are "al dente" (or to your preference), remove from heat.

Serves approximately 4 dinner-sized portions.

No comments:

Post a Comment